Welcome to MonkeyWiki
Monkey Wiki is a Wiki Engine written in Python  by Barnaby Scott. If you don't know what Wiki Engine means, or want to know more about the wiki concept, why not visit the Original Wiki:.
If you read about wiki engines there, you will see that loads have been written, so why does the world need another one? Well, maybe it doesn't, but I couldn't find one that fitted what I wanted to achieve with a website I maintain (), so I thought I would write one myself.
So here are some of the features that I tried to build in:
- Can use templates to give total control of the way the pages look.
- Unlimited templates for different pages or actions.
- Template tags capable of including other pages or arbitrary content.
- Can use Rewrite, so that URLs look clean and like a normal website.
- Can cache HTML pages so that normal viewing is faster
- Minimal disk usage by sending backups to the wikimaster by email.
- Suitable for, and easy to install on a rented virtual server.
- Small (single file) and simple to maintain/improve.
- Easy to run within a simple wrapper to add such things as access control
- Minimal, intuitive mark-up suited to a non-technical audience (e.g. line-breaks are honoured).
See also Full List Of Features, Is Monkey Wiki For Me and To Do List
- First and foremost to Piki Piki, a wiki engine by Martin Pool. This was a big inspiration, and my WikiParser is a very recognisable descendant.
- The good people on the tutor mailing list at python.org, for their help on various occasions.
Feel free to add to or edit this wiki. If you just want to test it out, go to the Sand Box. If you like what you see, you can Download It - it's free.